Thursday, June 28

Sexing the Cherry by Jeanette Winterson



If I had to describe Sexing the Cherry in one word, it would be easy. Bizarre.

Describing it in more than one word is the hard part.

This is not so much a novel but a mishmash of disjointed stories. There are some stories I liked (story of the dancing princesses) and some which made me laugh out loud.

But, all throughout the novel, I failed to see the point. I really did. Now maybe it's because I'm not intellectual enough to read between the lines. I can defer to that. But, really, it was too out there for my liking.

The book felt like a disguised social commentary. (For me) It failed in that respect as well. The author tried to tackle too many issues (pollution, discrimination, religious zealousness and lots more) that it ended up a hodgepodge of ideas.

Would I recommend this book? Maybe, just for the experience of it. But it's certainly not one to end up on my bookshelf.

No comments: